Focus on: CrasterJuly 29, 2014 12:40 pm
In a new series of blog posts we uncover some of the gems of Northumberland, starting this week with a look at the key attractions in and around Craster.
We also feature two Sand & Castle properties, perfectly located to explore this picturesque harbour village.
The Jolly Fisherman was established by Charles Archbold in 1847. Over the past 165 years the building has grown in both size and reputation and is popular with locals, coastal ramblers and day-trippers alike.
Following a full refurbishment in 2012, publican David Whitehead has established a fantastic new menu introducing classic seafood dishes with a modern twist.
Dunstanburgh Castle was built around 1313 by Earl Thomas of Lancaster at a time when relations between King Edward II and Earl Thomas had become openly hostile. The castle was particularly grand and competed in style with the latest royal castles being built by the king in Wales at the time.
The gardens at Howick are deliberately aimed at garden lovers with the extensive grounds offering a wide variety of plants throughout the year and are open from early February until mid November. They are open daily between 10.30am – 6pm.
Restoration work has recently been completed in the original entrance hall of Howick Hall to create a Visitor Centre where detailed information about Howick Hall Gardens & Arboretum is displayed.
The reserve lies on an outcrop of the Whin Sill; it is an old quarry with scrub and woodland. The woodland and scrub includes ash, elm, Scots pine, elder and gorse with willow fringing the stream.
- Luxurious, double fronted, stone fisherman’s cottage with beautiful views of the harbour
- 5 star accommodation, sleeps 8
- Stylish contemporary interiors with a coastal flavour
- Great coastal holiday cottage for group or family get-togethers
- Beautiful stone fisherman’s cottage with wonderful views of the harbour
- 4 star accommodation, sleeps 6
- Cosy and comfortable, with fresh and pretty cottage decor
- A perfect base for exploring the Northumberland coast.
- Perfect for couples or smaller families